I personally feel that everyone needs to go on at least one vacation a year. And it does not matter your financial situation. Everyone needs a BREAK! This vacation does not need to be fancy but it needs to happen. That is why I am sharing 5 ways to vacation on a budget.
Something you should know about my house is that we love vacations! And we have found ways to save on each one!
5 WAYS TO VACATION ON A BUDGET
Some links in this post are affiliate link for your convenience, click here to read our full affiliate policy.
- This is the biggest way we SAVE because travel is so important to us, we have two credit card: one for hotel and the other airline. Confused because you think credit cards are BAD, check out this post should I use credit cards.
- The cards we have do have annual fees but those fees are cheaper than the FREE things that are offered. So don’t be afraid of fees! There are lots of options so do your research and see what card works best for you.
MAKE IT DRIVING DISTANCE
- A great way to save is to drive to the location. This will save on airfare plus a car rental!
CAMP, STAY WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW, OR AIRBNB
- Camping can be FREE or very inexpensive (as long as you have the supplies!).
- Go on a vacation to visit a family member or friend, they will probably let you stay at their house.
- Airbnb is great! It’s a wonderful way to get more for your money and you normally get a whole apartment/house (you can cook more meals to save money).
USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTANT, UBER, OR WALK
- If we are traveling to a large city, I always look into public transportation but this way does take longer sometimes. TIP: If you are staying at a hotel sometimes they have shuttles that will pick you up at the airport or take you downtown.
- Uber is one of my husband’s FAVORITE ways to get around. If you haven’t tried it you should because it’s a lot cheaper than a Taxi.
MAKE AT LEAST ONE MEAL A DAY
- We always try to make at least one meal, normally ours is lunch but sometimes its breakfast. Lunch is the easiest because we always do a sandwich!
BONUS: KEEP AN EYE ON FLIGHTS
- If you have a vacation in mind and the date, check out Hopper to keep an eye for the best flight prices.
BONUS: GO ON A CRUISE
- We really enjoy going on a cruise (we have only been to the Caribbean) because they include room, food, and take you somewhere new almost every day.
By using these 5 ways to vacation on a budget, we have saved thousands on traveling which allows us to see some pretty amazing places. Because our kids are still little, we only vacation to places we can drive to (when they get bigger and can all swim, this will slightly change!). This saves us from having to buy five airplane tickets. But this does not mean that my husband and I do not travel. Every year we go on one big trip together. This has mainly been possible because we use points. We have traveled to many different countries for FREE and had FREE rooms all because of points. It really is something you should look into!
And that’s the ways we vacation on a budget. How do you vacation on a budget? Please share!!